Wednesday, April 17, 2013

becoming that independent woman


The other day I had a guy tell me that I am a very independent woman. I couldn't help but laugh, and think, well, it did not come easily! I think every woman at one point in her life has struggled with self confidence and that sense of independence.

For me, I was always shy growing up. I have no qualms in admitting that I never had a date to a high school dance, or a date in general. I was an awkward, lanky, teenager. Once I entered college, I started becoming more comfortable with myself as I was interacting with more people. I actually gained my confidence about the time I was entering grad school, and it just grew from there.

There isn't a switch that suddenly turns on your independent woman vibe. I think it comes from years of figuring out how to be your true self. And that's not easy. It comes with age and experience, maybe even a great pair of jeans. But, I love that I now worry less about what people think, and I'm not afraid to show my quirkiness. And men...I definitely know how to deal with them now.

When do you feel your most confident?

5 comments:

  1. Love this post! I think being independent is such an important quality to have as a woman. It shows that they feel safe, secure, and actually enjoy doing things alone without relying on others. I'm still working on this now.


    xo
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could have been describing me, up until the part about knowing how to deal with men, still figuring them out. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i don't think we will ever figure them out haha!

      Delete
  3. Just found your blog and I'm your newest follower.

    We are so similar! I was also an only child for 15 years of my life (I read your post below) until my brother was born. I'll admit, I felt lonely at times but it definitely helped me become creative.. and I'd say independent too!

    I also really started making friends in University. Everything just seemed to click then.

    Great post and blog!

    Alex[andra]
    letlifebelikemusic.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  4. i like this post! I'm your new follower!

    GO GIRLS!

    jessie

    xx

    www.jessiesstyleblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete