Thursday, April 25, 2013

throwback: nickelodeon’s snick


Saturday nights were a big deal for me as a middle schooler simply because Nickelodeon had the best line-up of shows to watch. You had Clarissa Explains It All, Pete & Pete, Alex Mack, All That, The Mystery Files of Shelby Woo, and Rugrats to name a few. Are You Afraid of the Dark was my favorite show of them all. I remember making popcorn, putting on my Pink Power Ranger pjs, and waiting to see that orange couch on my tv.

Besides showing great shows, SNICK also ran contests every now and then. You would call in to win prizes, though you never got through because every other kid was doing the same thing. And then came one year where they were giving away a Harriet the Spy package. I called nonstop for the entire two hours of SNICK to no avail. The phone lines closed, according to my tv, but I decided to try one last time. I got through AND actually won! It was the highlight of my life at that point. Six long, agonizing months later, I received my prize package: a clear plastic Harriet the Spy fanny pack, notebook, pencil, binoculars, and magnifying glass. My 11-year-old, junior spying, self was amazed. I've since never been that excited to sit home in front of the tv on a Saturday night.

What was your favorite SNICK show?

3 comments:

  1. Ahhh I loved "Are you afraid of the dark?" Even my Mom watched it with my sisters and I! I absolutely loved all of these shows too! Thanks so much for sharing friend!
    Brittney

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved "Are You Afraid of the Dark" and the first few seasons of "All That" with Katerina and Alisa. I also lived for the TGIF line-ups Friday on ABC!

    Found your blog through the blog collective and would love a follow back!!
    - Heather

    www.sarcasmandstilettos.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVEEEE Snick. I adored Clarissa, but I still really like Are You Afraid of the Dark. I recently watched an episode with young Ryan Gosling.

    I also really liked the Disney show So Weird.

    ReplyDelete