Wednesday, May 22, 2013

the little things: dirty dishes


Let's be honest, there are many little things that get to us, annoy us, put a damper on our day just because they exist. Really, in the grand scheme of things, these minor nuisances are not a big deal. But, they can definitely make me complain, even when I try to have perspective. I mean, there are people out there dealing with major issues, life threatening matters, and I'm here whining about minute problems? Trust me, I feel ridiculous about it, but those little things can drive us crazy. So, I'm going to devote a reoccurring post to voice these complaints in the hopes that my sanity and outlook on life stay somewhat grounded…

Dirty dishes. I am in no way a "neat freak", even though I thoroughly enjoy a tidy space. When you're one of the only people responsible for your living space, you tend to like things a bit cleaner. Having lived with roommates for many years now, I've developed a serious dirty dishes complex. I can't stand when my roommate leaves a huge pile of dishes in the sink. I'm utterly disgusted by knives with globs of butter on them just lying there, begging to be cleaned. I just want to tell her why can't you simply clean a dish after you've used it? Why must it sit there for days collecting odd smells and food particles? Sometimes, I'll make a comment here or there, or leave soapy water in the sink as sign. Point not taken.

Feel free to vent with me!

5 comments:

  1. OMG--I was the same way about dishes when I had roommates! I would write passive aggressive messages and stick them on the fridge. LOL. It's weird because I'm definitely not a clean freak but something about dishes in the sink just screams "ROACH MAGNET!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on dirty dishes. I also cannot stand unmade bed!


    The Grass Skirt

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will admit it, I am a little bit of a clean freak but in the kitchen I am VERY much a clean freak. And you are right, dirty dishes in the sink are super gross. That ties a dirty microwave for me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm the same way with dishes. I just can't leave food out on my plate when I know it will be way harder to clean the next day. Why not just clean it off when you go to the sink? I feel your pain girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Doing the dishes is BY FAR my least favorite household chore. Something about touching old, smelly dishwater and food sends me into instant dry heaves.

    ReplyDelete