Thursday, May 16, 2013

throwback: disney movies


I may be bias, but I think disney movies were in their prime when I was a kid. I'm talking about some of the animated gems like The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, and Pocahontas. I saw those movies when they first came out in theaters, and to say I was obsessed would be an understatement. I remember pretending to be Ariel in my pool, trying to get the water to shoot up behind me as I hung on to the ladder. I remember getting my own rose that lit up and a chip cup from Beauty and the Beast on Ice. I remember having the most awesome Jasmine pajamas that looked exactly like her outfit. I remember trying to get my hair to blow in the breeze atop a hill like Pocahontas.

It's funny to think of these things now as an adult. Can you imagine what our parents must have thought watching us use forks to comb our hair, or singing to animals? You also notice a whole lot more when watching as an adult. For example, while watching Beauty and the Beast the other month I noticed the line in the song "Belle" 'How is your family? Bonjour! Good day! How is your wife?' said by the woman in a low cut top as the men ogle her. Also, I was watching Aladdin on tv, singing along of course, when I noticed they dubbed the line in "Arabian Nights" from "Where they cut off your ear, If they don't like your face" to "Where it's flat and immense, And the heat is intense". After a google search, I found out that the line was considered offensive, and was changed shortly after the film's release. Oh, disney.

There is a hilarious video from Jenna Marbles where she talks about all of the things disney movies taught her…


How true.

2 comments:

  1. First of all, Jenna Marbles is hilarious, always. Second, you're totally right (or I'm biased too). The Disney movies from OUR generation were the best. I can't think of a recent one that is just as good. Wait, was Avatar Disney? [checking...checking...] Nope, no I don't think it was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I learned that all animals should talk because they seem so wise. And also, that it's not okay to get into a stranger's white van, but it's definitely okay to get onto a stranger's purple carpet.

    ReplyDelete