Thursday, May 30, 2013

throwback: when i grow up

my mom liked to set up 'photo shoots'

My apologies if the pussycat dolls song gets stuck in your head for the entirety of this post. Oh the days when we were young and impressionable. Back when we had big, crazy dreams about our future jobs. Some people were lucky enough to fulfill their childhood fantasies, while others chose different paths. Myself, I kind of fell into my current job after two degrees in education.

But, when I was a kid I wanted to be…

A veterinarian. I liked cats so naturally that made me believe I could be a doctor of them. This dream fell apart when I realized I was not good at science, or that the pets could die.

An astronaut. The movie Apollo 13 had just come out, and I became obsessed with space. Not enough that I wanted to go to space camp, but enough that I lived in a refrigerator box that was my broken spacecraft. I spent hours in that thing while I had the movie on replay.

A teacher. This is usually on the list for most kids, as I've seen from the countless essays for grad school mentioning playing teacher as a child. I did the same thing, thus the reasoning for declaring education as my major in college.

What did you want to be when you were little, and did that dream turn out??


4 comments:

  1. When I was little, I was determined to be a cop. I was actually obsessed with the idea. I dressed up as one and watched the TV show religiously on Saturday nights. Then I grew up, decided I want to work a 9-5 job and became an administrator instead.

    Your broken spacecraft sounds like it was awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow that refrigerator box, err spacecraft sounds like such a fun childhood imaginative time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always wanted to be a scientist, but in the end my creative side won out over my analytical side. (I still love science, though.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww you look so cute. I wanted to be an actress so I could kiss lots of boys... Hmm, good job I realised it wasn't okay to just kiss lots of people...

    Check out the giveaway on my blog for your chance to win a M.A.C lipstick or eyeshadow of your choice :) http://beautybook13.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/mac-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete