Tuesday, June 18, 2013

when friendships change


We can't all be fortunate enough to still have our friends from grade school, or our high school buddies, or that childhood friend from summer vacations. We change, they change, we grow apart, and that's ok.

I still have my closest friends from high school. The four of us were extremely close senior year, and well into college. Even now, we continue to hang out and catch up. However, there has always been one who seemed to distance herself, she claims unknowingly, but we think she just found other friends. She is getting married this summer. Instead of talking about her bridal party with us, she kept quiet. Though, she asked for my opinion about her wedding dress because she said I know her style so well. She showed me pictures, asked which ones I liked best, and showed me the one she picked. Turns out, I wasn't asked to be in her wedding, nor were our other two friends. At first I was a little miffed, but then realized I didn't really know her anymore. I barely know her fiancé. It's hard seeing such a good friend, for a while my best friend, drift away. It makes my other friend really upset to the point where she cries over her.

How can you let years and years of memories just fade away? Well, you just don't let it. While you may have lost the friendships you once had, the memories are irreplaceable. A few weeks ago the four of us got together to watch a movie I had made about our Florida trip when we were college freshmen. We laughed, squealed a little, and just enjoyed reminiscing. It brought us right back to when our friendship was at its strongest. And then you realize that we are all at different places in our lives. We're still friends. We still have those memories. We just have a different type of friendship now. We have to be grateful for that at least.

5 comments:

  1. I struggle with this a lot, especially since virtually all of my close high school and college friends are scattered across the country. But with most of them, the time spent apart seems to fade away once we're finally reunited, even though sometimes it's years or more in between visits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What great perspective. We can choose to be bitter and hurt about lost friendships or choose to remember the good times. You are a good friend to choose the second option!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love what you said about it being a different type of relationship. I'm having that issue with my younger sister. We are trying to develop a better and more adult friendship {while I have to remember not to just treat her like my little sister}. It's different, but I'm grateful. :]

    Have a great week!
    -Samantha

    http://substanceandsoul.tumblr.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. great post. it's hard when friendships fade as the years pass, but good for you for continue and love her even when things turned out different;y than you'd hoped. have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just found your blog, and I really enjoyed this post! I just finished my freshman year of college and I've noticed that I'm starting to drift apart from many high school friends. I am sad in some ways but I also know that some of the people I was close to in high school probably weren't the healthiest people for me to be friends with, and with growing up comes new friends and experiences. :-)

    Thanks for sharing!

    xoxo Miss ALK
    http://missalk1994.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete