Thursday, September 26, 2013

that time i tried out for antm


Last week, I mentioned that I had tried out for a reality show, and a few of you were curious as to which one it was. Well, back when I was about 21, I tried out for America's Next Top Model, and it was quite an interesting experience to say the least...

My roommate and I decided to try out on a whim because there were open casting calls at one of the outlet malls near our hometowns, and we weren't doing anything that weekend. We had to fill out a very long questionnaire about ourselves, our likes, and our favorite models. That Saturday, we headed to the mall a bit earlier than the 12pm open time, and there were already over 100 girls waiting in line. So, we waited...and waited, having no idea what we would have to do once we got to the front. There were girls all decked out with teased hair, full makeup, and crazy heels. I just had on a t-shirt, jeans, and flats. Once we got closer, I saw it...a catwalk. Then it hit me, we were going to have to catwalk down the runway while being videotaped. Oh god. We crept up closer, and I saw there was a line of tape marked on a wall with girls trying desperately to reach the 5'7" requirement to apply. Ah, so that's why they were teasing the hair. We had been waiting hours now, and the open calls were only going to 4pm. Behind us, the line had to be closer to 200 girls, who were now receiving paper copies of the audition requirements because it was obvious they weren't going to make it down the line.

Then, it was our turn. And right behind me, they cut off the line. I was the last one to try out. They showed us to the back of the stage, and told us to walk down, turn left, turn right, face backward, and then forwards. I was pretty nervous, probably started to get the red rash on my chest, but I knew I couldn't back out now. I hopped up on stage, my roommate was on the catwalk next to mine, and then I saw ALL of the people sitting and watching. I started my 'walk' and about halfway I realized my mouth was hanging open because I was so scared, so I clamped it shut. Nice. I got to the end, turned left, and saw these girls just staring at me from their chairs. Shoot. Turn right, face back, and spin around. I then had to 'pose'. Ok, that wasn't too bad. But, then the guy with the camera came up and started asking me questions that I had to answer in front of the camera. They asked which former contestant I was most like, and I said the previous winner, CariDee, because 'I'm tall like her and goofy like her'. WHAT?! Then I had to say my name and where I was from, it went like this, shakily of course, 'Um, I'm Lauren from Buffalo, NY, go sabres!'. And then I walked off the stage, never to hear from them again. Yup, that stellar audition did not garner any further contact from ANTM, but hey, it was an experience!

8 comments:

  1. That is so awesome! I always loved that show but you should take it as a compliment they didn't pick you because the girls are always semi-weird looking

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha love this. i probably would have been just as freaked out!!!! now you have a funny story at least! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is hilarious! I am impressed that you had the guts to just go up there and kill it like that! I can't believe they didn't want to put you on the show. I can totally see all the crazy girls with their hair ratted and looking so nervous. I am glad that you did a post about it! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun, and good for you for giving it a try and working that catwalk, even if your mouth was open...I bet it added character! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're so brave! Andrew tried to get me to sign up for Canada's Next Top Model and I was like heccck no. I probably would have been too embarrassed. But it's so awesome that you tried!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that you did this!! I would be terrified!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha, what an awesome story! I'm positive that I would have tripped down the catwalk, so kudos on staying upright the whole time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing this! They were fools not to pick you. :) At least, you didn't trip down the runway Carrie Bradshaw style. I'd consider that a victory!
    The Grass Skirt

    ReplyDelete