Thursday, January 23, 2014

dealing with work stress

source: my desk

Since I work in admissions, I have certain application cycles that are more stressful than others. I'm at that point right now. Little things tend to set me off, and cause major stress, and I have to find ways to deal with that.

ZEN GARDEN
I have a zen garden on my desk that my co-worker gave me as a gift. Raking the sand actually works! I'm not kidding. Simply by moving the little rakes back and forth in the sand, I instantly feel a calming sensation. My garden also came with a book of meditations.

LETTING IT GO
Luckily, I have a job that stays at work. When I get home, I don't have to think about it, or finish anything up. I have to remind myself to leave the problems behind until the next day. And to not check my email, which is easier said than done.

VENTING
It always feels better to talk my frustration out. For some reason, my mom enjoys listening to my crazy tales, so she's my person to vent to. Also, because of confidentiality issues, I know she isn't going to tell anyone, and she has no idea who anyone is. Airing out my troubles is one of the best ways I've found to cope with work related stress.

WINE
Simple, yet effective. I get home and have a glass of wine with dinner to relax after a stressful day. I'll turn on some crappy reality tv, and just lounge on the couch.

What are some ways that you deal with work stress?

3 comments:

  1. love this zen garden...i need one! when i need a moment at work i just get up from my desk and take a walk...moving away from my little cube space does wonders (chocolate works too)!


    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to play cards when I'm stressed. My husband and I will play rummy or I'll play solitaire and I don't know why but it works! It keeps my hands and my mind busy so I don't dwell on the stress.

    -Samantha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always want to buy that zen garden every time I see it at Bed bath and beyond! It looks so fun and relaxing but my boyfriend always convinces me it's a waste of money but now that I know it works for you, maybe I'll pick one up :)

    ReplyDelete