Tuesday, January 21, 2014

weight issues: the good, the bad, & the healthy


Weight is an issue that a majority of us women face, regardless of age or size. Large, small, heavy, medium, flat, round; they're just adjectives, yet they hold so much weight (sort of pun intended).

My body type is thin, due to genetics, but it is not as healthy as it could be. Now, some of my friends have gotten on my case that I shouldn't complain because I'm "thin". Thin does not necessarily mean healthy. And, for me, that is one of the most difficult things about talking/blogging about this issue. Why can't weight be defined by health rather than size?

THE GOOD
Talking about it. Understanding each woman individually. We don't know the medical history of someone which could explain size, eating habits, weight gain, etc. There are lasting body image effects no matter what size. Realizing that we are all facing similar situations, i.e. critical or mean comments, judgmental looks, and/or self-doubt, is part of the battle. We are on the same side after all.

THE BAD
Criticizing each other. When I mention the words 'work out' or 'healthy diet', the usual response I get is that I don't need to, paired with a 'oh, please' kind of look. Even here, this post has been the most difficult to write because I don't want to offend anyone. We, involuntarily, tend to criticize other woman no matter what size. Too skinny, too large, average, overweight, underweight, the list could go on. There seems to be no happy medium.

THE HEALTHY
Finding that balance that works for our own bodies. Never mind anyone who says you could lose weight, or you should gain weight, doing what you believe is best for your body to be at its healthiest should be most important. We only get one body, so do what makes you most healthy and happy. In the end, it should only be our opinion of ourselves that matters most. But, unfortunately, I think that's easier said than done.


1 comment:

  1. You took the words right out of my mouth. I get the same responses that I don't "need" to go to the gym because I'm skinny. I get kind of offended. I'm not going because I think I need to lose weight. I go because I want to be healthy. You're absolutely right - just because someone is skinny, doesn't mean they're healthy.

    I've wanted to write about this too but I've never had the courage. Maybe I can use your post for inspiration!

    ReplyDelete