Tuesday, February 4, 2014

blogging: not taking things personally


One of the most difficult things, at least I think, when it comes to blogging is not taking things personally. This could be what people say, view counts, followers, negativity, etc. Back when I started blogging under my old, now deleted, blog, my thing was thinking people didn't like me because I didn't have a lot of followers. I know many bloggers say it's not about the followers, but realistically, it is. You want people to read your posts otherwise you wouldn't post them publicly, right? Now, it wasn't just that I thought no one was following me, it was also that I would watch other newbie blogs just take off, gain so many followers so quickly, that I thought I had to have been doing something wrong.

Other things like nasty comments and negativity can be pretty overwhelming. Like when I read Samantha's post over on her blog Substance and Soul, about staying graceful despite rude and unnecessary comments. I was so surprised that people would go out of their way to make awful comments to someone they didn't even know.

Bloggers are some of the sweetest and nicest people around who freely share their ideas, lives, photos, and tips with others, so for people to condemn them or chastise them simply blows my mind. It's amazing what people can type behind a computer screen, things they wouldn't even dare say to someone in person. We just need to ignore the trolls, focus on spreading kindness, and blog on.


5 comments:

  1. I will never understand what motivates someone to be rude via a blog. If you have nothing nice to say, lets remember the childhood rule and not say [post it] on someones blog! We all have feelings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. People who don't blog don't realize that it's kind of scary to put yourself "out there" for the world to see (and judge). I think it's easy to criticize other people when you're not the one taking any risks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to really care about my numbers. When I noticed someone unfollowed me, it actually kind of hurt. But, at the end of the day, I blog for me. I blog to have an online diary of my activities. To have something to look back on. I would hope that even if no one read my blog, I'd still continue writing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blog on girl!!I find the less I began to care about numbers the better I got at writing. I have yet to have a negative comment but I am sure that day is just around the corner!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Let's all just spread the love and encourage one another! I love your blog, keep it up!
    -Samantha

    ReplyDelete