Thursday, April 3, 2014

celebrities & medical "advice"

A couple weeks ago I stumbled across an article on people about Kristin Cavallari and her stance on anti-vaccinations (you may know her as a quarterback wife, or an 'actress', or as I like to think of her, that girl from Laguna Beach who obnoxiously shouted 'sttttteeeeeephhheeeen').

"Here's the thing. At the end of the day, I'm just a mom, I'm trying to make the best decision for my kid. There are very scary statistics out there regarding what is in vaccines and what they cause: asthma, allergies, ear infections — all kinds of things. We feel like we're making the best decision for our kids." 

Obviously, you know I'm not a mom, so I'm looking to you ladies for the best input here, but I do work at a public university, and do know that you need vaccinations in this state in order to be a student. I wouldn't mind bloggers, friends, or family, discussing their opinions and views on medical topics like this, but whenever I see a 'celeb' do it, it rubs me the wrong way. Here's more of Kristin's opinion, which gave her even more publicity.


Jenny McCarthy is another 'celeb' pushing an opinion of vaccines and autism. The thing is, celebs have the power of influence whether they realize it or not. Some people tend to trust the opinion of a celeb in the spotlight maybe because they think they know that person because they've watched them on tv, or could trust that person. And that is a scary thing. 

I understand that everyone has an opinion and is entitled to it, but with celebs, at least to me, there always seems to be something that they get out of it. Whether it be publicity, endorsement deals, sponsorships, or whatever. Those things make me discredit what they say because there appears to be an ulterior motive. 

But, on the other hand, if it's advice that I approve of or like, I would be more inclined to listen and respond. Hmm, well now that's an interesting predicament. 

3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, I'm so glad that you wrote this. I've been so frustrated at the anti-vaccination media coverage lately. People are listening to these "celebrities". Decisions about this topic should be based on sound scientific research in medical journals, not just google. {okay, mini rant over}

    -Samantha
    http://substanceandsoul.tumblr.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I vaccinate and my sister does not. I am pro vaccination all the way!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What's interesting is that Jenny McCarthy's son developed autism not from vaccinations but from a previously undiagnosed medical condition. She still won't admit she's wrong about vaccines and autism.

    ReplyDelete