Tuesday, May 13, 2014

interview don'ts


This week is a busy one for me as I'm on a search committee and we've brought the candidates to our campus for interviews. I'll be running around all week, though the bonus for me is that I get two lunches and a dinner on my uni's tab. Going through this process has been a bit eye opening though, I've realized a few things that you certainly should not do in an interview...

  • DON'T insult the office you'll be working for. If you don't have anything nice to say about the office in question, then simply don't say anything. You can have opinions or suggestions based on the research you did, but explain them in a nice, general, and well-mannered way.

  • DON'T think you know everything. Yes, you'll have a wealth of experiences and knowledge, but usually, you're the outsider applying for a position. It is impossible to know every tiny detail about the job you'll be doing or the company you'll be working for so ask questions.

  • DON'T be arrogant. There's a fine line between confident and arrogant when trying to get a review committee to see that you are the one for the job. Have a pleasant tone, rather than sounding like you're above it.

  • DON'T be boring. This is a tough one because sometimes nerves can get the best of you, but try to be enthusiastic, interesting, and engaging. I try and throw humor in there too, if I'm not red in the face from nervousness. 

What interview don'ts have you experienced?

1 comment: