Tuesday, May 6, 2014

to my twenty-one year old self

me 'exploring the world'

With the spring semester coming to an end in the next couple weeks, I tend to get a bit nostalgic about my time as a college kid. If only I knew half of the things then that I know now, I'd probably be in a different place. But, we know that just isn't how life works. However, if I could give advice to my former college senior self, it would have to be:

  • Live it up now. Things truly change once you graduate college. Yes, you'll be going to grad school, but some of the people you've met, you will never see again. Enjoy this time.

  • Your major isn't that meaningful. You got the degree, but your job isn't in that area, and that is OK. Plenty of people are in the same boat. You love what you're doing even though it wasn't what you went to school for.

  • Friendships will change. You won't be friends forever. People change. You change. It's ok to lose touch with some people, it's part of growing up. You still have a core group that will not change.

  • Big things will happen. You will travel. You will start a career. You do not need to fear the future. You will do things that matter. Even though it may seem like the end of the world now, there are bigger and better things out there for you. And you will take them.

  • He still doesn't deserve your tears. You will realize that he will slowly disappear. Others will take his place, and you will find your confidence. He will also see that confidence too, eventually.

If you could, what would you say to your 21 year old self?

1 comment:

  1. Oh man what I would tell my 21 year old self - he NEVER deserved your tears! :) So happy that relationships you thought were so special run their course to make way for better things!

    ReplyDelete