Friday, June 6, 2014

feel good friday: not just a donut day

wwii memorial in washington, d.c.

Today marks 70 years since the D-Day invasion of Normandy. I guess seeing the top trends on twitter right now being #donutday and Happy National Donut Day make me a tad bit aggravated that this is what people choose to focus on. Maybe it's because my dad is a history lover that I feel especially sensitive to honoring war veterans, especially those from WWII. Maybe it's because I know that soon we won't have those firsthand accounts.

I did have a somewhat happier post planned for today (14 Pictures That Prove Animals Are Better Than People from buzzfeed), but then the facebook photos of donuts just led me in this direction.

I visited the cemetery last weekend for my Nana's birthday, and the American flags were still up from Memorial Day. It is an eerie yet powerful sight to see hundreds of flags on gravestones for those that fought, mostly in WWII for that particular cemetery. Both of my grandfathers, who have since passed, never really talked about the war, most usually do not. They should still be remembered appropriately though. I wish young kids today could realize that as well.

Don't get me wrong, I lovvve donuts, but it would be nice to take some time to think about the men and women who fought so that we could enjoy a day like National Donut Day. Now that feels good.


3 comments:

  1. I wholeheartedly agree. D-Day should be remembered for what is was: saving the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree. We take our vets, new and old for granted. It breaks my heart sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! SO true and so easily forgotten by most people! Now I want to go buy donuts for all the vets I see.

    ReplyDelete