Tuesday, June 17, 2014

recent single lady problems


The life of a single lady can be cumbersome at times, mostly when dealing with others asking for your relationship status. I'm used to navigating this type of terrain, but I can still be caught off guard. I'm not sure why people tend to pity those who are single, but it usually just makes me agitated when trying to form a response. These are a few of the comments I've encountered recently:

Your aunt showing young men at her work your linked in profile. If the guy shows interest, she then moves on to your facebook profile. This aunt has been trying for years to get information out of me, and also to match me up with anyone from her work.

Your friends asking if you have a boyfriend, when you respond with no, they say 'ohhh I'm sorry'. Again, no need to feel sorry for someone who enjoys her singleness. We're not all crying over a pint of ice cream while watching The Notebook with a cat on our lap. Sigh.

Your dad's friends making comments about how you're not taken yet or that your knight in shining armor will soon come. If not a knight, then usually it's a guy who has a lot of money. Riggght, because that's the only thing I'm looking for, come on.

Your acquaintances/sometimes strangers suggesting that 'you're a cute girl, how are you still single'. This is my personal favorite. Because being cute must mean that you have a significant other. I didn't realize that was the standard for obtaining a partner. Ugh.

Looks like I'm off to take a cuter selfie, adjust my tinder profile, and patiently await the arrival of my prince. Have you single ladies experienced any of these gems lately?

5 comments:

  1. Are you in my head? I think you must be.

    That last one, especially. If I hear that ONE MORE TIME (from someone who knows better than to say it) I'm going to snap.

    I love my mother, but she is constantly talking to me about "so and so, who is single" and I don't have the heart to tell her to stop. I'm choosing not to date right now - I have other, more important things, that I need to figure out before I can even think about dating. No one gets that.

    Thank you for this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never understand why people feel sorry for you when you say you are single. Sure it would be nice to meet a great man, but I'm happy living my life as a single lady. No need to feel sorry for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't understand why people apologize when I say, "I'm single." It's not like my cat just died...it's just a phase people!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My best friend is single and my parents ask me all the time "She is such a cute girl why can't she find a boyfriend?" She is just too busy being awesome mama! So much better to be single than attached to the wrong person!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh, we're living the same life.

    ReplyDelete