Wednesday, June 18, 2014

the 9 to 5 social: what's my job title, again?

I'm linking up with Helene & Sarah for #TotalSocial because it's been a while since I've done a linkup and I'm curious about what other jobs bloggers have:

Helene in Between

I work at a university, which it pretty vague when I tell people that. I work in an office made up of two people, including myself. We handle graduate students with the admissions process as well as any problems that happen during their program. Basically, I answer phones all day, advise students, respond to a ton of questions, and send a lot of emails. While it may sound somewhat boring/monotonous. I do enjoy it. It's the only full-time job I've ever had, really. I started when I was in grad school and have been here ever since. (No wonder I'm desperately trying to get out!).

What I like about my job is the fact that I get to meet a lot of different people from around the world. Even though we are a small school, we have students come to us from many different countries. Since I'm their first point of contact, I'm usually the one they end up asking for help or simply waving hello to on campus.

We're on summer hours right now so I work from 8-4 which is the BEST part about summer here. A lot of people ask if I have summers off because I work at a college to which I just laugh and say absolutely not.

While this may never have been my dream job, or even what I went to school for, I'm glad I ended up where I did. Of course, I'd love to be a sports broadcaster or work for a sports team, but we can't go back and re-do those four years of college. I mean, I could go back, but those student loans I'm still paying off scream DON'T DO IT!

Do you love what you're doing right now?

7 comments:

  1. Love hearing about people's lives! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always wanted to work at a university! I think it's just such an interesting field and it's always going to be there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those student loans are keeping me from going back to school too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Student loans stop me from going back to school as well! Wish I knew at 21 that I wanted to be a vet! Oh well another life (and if I was a vet how would I blog? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So interesting! And though you're trying to get out, it's nice that you can at least stand it while you're still there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would LOVE to work somewhere where I could meet people from all over the world. Then I probably wouldn't get my job done though due to always questioning them and how life is "over there" haha! Anyways, I'm excited I found your blog today! This link up has been fun making some new blogging buddies and seeing what they do when they aren't blogging :) I'm excited to be following you via GFC and Bloglovin (oh, and twitter because it's just too cool not to be on twitter) lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. We do have quite similar jobs! I really love working at a university and the environment that comes with it. We are lucky though and do have all of July off here so that is a big bonus!

    ReplyDelete