Tuesday, July 8, 2014

everything tastes better in the south

I'm back from South Carolina with a stomach full of food and a little bit of an accent. Yes, I am that person who can pick up an accent easily and then sound ridiculous when talking to people.

I had a great time visiting with family, exploring Greenville, setting of fireworks legally, and stuffing myself with southern cuisine. It was also extremely hot, especially for a northerner who was exposed to winter for eight long months. Somehow, I got used to the heat, and it did wonders for my beachy waves hair.

Did I mention food? I ate at The Green Room and Smoke on the Water downtown. Both delicious. I even tried fried catfish. My grandma also cooked for me when I wasn't busy hitting up a Bojangles or Sonic. We just don't have those back home!

Another thing that we technically can't do back home: fireworks. What started out with me buying $1 sparklers from Publix turned into my cousins purchasing the value pack at the closest firework store. And by store, I mean a makeshift area set up at a gas station. They even had me light a few ones off, which was terrifying by the way. They had me hold a roman candle, but didn't tell me until the next day that it could possibly go off the other way, which would have been into my body. Dudes. And their toys.


2 comments:

  1. It looks like you had a wonderful time! Isn't it just great to visit family/home once in a while? :]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a great time!!!! Yum Southern food!

    ReplyDelete