Tuesday, September 30, 2014

recipe: butternut squash chili with avocado

I've been pinning fall recipes like crazy, but didn't get around to actually trying one out until last night. I saw the recipe for Butternut Squash Chipotle Chili with Avocado, and knew I definitely had to test this out. Being the cheap shopper, and semi-lazy cook that I am, I made some adjustments to the original recipe...


WHAT YOU'LL NEED
  • Butternut squash (I bought the already prepped kind in a bag because I read how difficult the squash is to cut)
  • Chopped onions (I used green onions, but whatever works for you)
  • 1 can of diced tomatoes (I used zesty jalapeno flavored for more spice)
  • 1 can of black beans, rinsed
  • 2 cups broth (I found a mexican tortilla broth that gave all of the spice I needed)
  • Salt
  • Ground pepper
  • Garlic powder (I use the adobo seasoning)
  • Sliced avocado
  • Tortilla chips or sour cream for optional toppings

WHAT YOU'LL DO
  • In a large pot, saute the onions and squash in vegetable oil. 
  • Add black beans, tomatoes, broth.
  • Season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder
  • Cover, and let cook, stirring occasionally, about 45 minutes or longer, depending on how thick you want the chili to be.
  • Serve with sliced avocado on top, and your choice of additional toppings.

And that's it! It was so easy once I threw everything in the pot. Even though I eyeballed it on the amount of squash and onion, it still gave me enough for dinner and a couple lunches. It was quite spicy too, but I'm weak when it comes to hot stuff, so what made my nose run may not even affect you. My first fall recipe experiment was a tasty success!

3 comments:

  1. Yum! Saving this recipe, sounds perfect for those crisp fall nights.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmm sounds so good! I've been dying to try something with butternut squash and this might be the winner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, yes, and yes, please. I tried to cut a butternut squash once, and it was such a pain. I'm going to try this and definitely buy the prepped kind, too.

    ReplyDelete